Social Media is a noisy place and the chatter has been at its all time high. Everyone likes a ton of pages or is following a truck load of brands/people on twitter. So given the scenario how do you get to be popular on social media? how do you make sure that when you talk people listen. Let me tell you it’s hard and it will take time to get things right. The truth is, there is no 1 thing you can do to become popular. Think of it like trying to be the popular guy in college, there isn’t just one thing that’s going to get you there, it’s a process, it takes effort and some thought behind it. We’re going to point you in the right direction, provide you with that slight nudge to get the ball rolling, all you need to do is read on:
- Add Value: This is sort of the rule thumb here, whenever you put anything out there the one thing you need to ask yourself is “Does this add value to the reader?” It could simply be entertainment value but it should be some value. There are no points just ranting or blowing your own trumpet. If the post does not serve any value then think for another one.
- Don’t be self obsessed: Stop talking about you or your product all the time. “Aint nobody got time for that” 🙂 if you’ve got updates that people need to know then sure, go ahead let them know. But avoid making posts about your products over and over again just because you need to post something.
- Educate: This sort of connects with the point above, be a thought leader in your vertical. Write white papers, share statistics, create infographics. Inform and educate – your readers will love you for it.
- Easy on the Hashtags: Hashtags are important no doubt but that doesn’t mean your post is written in hashtags only. Many folks are tempted to do this but the stick to 2 hashtags per post.
- Reward your audience: Yes, good content in itself is a reward but a little something special never hurt anybody. Announce a contest with a sweet prize every now and then. It will double up your popularity for sure!
- Listen: A good listner is always in demand and social media is no exception to the rule. Listen to what your audience is saying, observe their behaviour and then adapt your communication accordingly. Trust us, you’ll be monster a hit!
- Entertain: A little humour is just what the doctor prescribed. It makes for a nice surprise for your readers. Create a trend, like Friday Fun or the much awaited April Fools prank by Google. It’s talked about for months after and everyone looks forward to it every year.
- Maintain a healthy frequency: While spamming is a no-no, you don’t want people to forget about you either. Ideal frequency for most brands is 1-2 posts a day. Keep in mind to never go above 3 posts per day (unless you’re making important announcements or running a contest) and below 1 post every 2 days.
- Respond to comments: While this sounds like a no-brainer, we see tons of brands not responding to comments. The value of social media is in its two-way communication, not taking advantage of that is wasting its awesomeness.
Make no mistake, social media is a critical part of brand communication. It’s a great way to connect with your customers and engage them. But always remember, in these times of information overload its important to stay relevant. Always make it a point to share good information in a timely manner and respond to comments, we’re certain you’ll be famous in no time.