I’m sure many of you have started to notice some buzz around Pinterest lately and wondered what is Pinterest? So we thought of writing a quick note on it for all you knowledge hungry people.
Simply put, Pinterest is a photo-sharing social network that allows users to create image collections called “pinboards”. Users can browse other pinboards and even re-pin images to their own pinboard. Their goal is to “connect everyone in the world through the ‘things’ they find interesting.” Just like other social networks, you can follow friends, like pins and comment on the same.
So can this social network be a part of your larger social media strategy? Let’s find out.
- It’s getting Bigger: According to Compete, Pinterest.com receives about 300 million unique visitors per month. The network already boasts a user base of 3.3 million which growing at a lightning pace.
- Connect with more people: Unlike other social networks, people on Pinterest are connected by shared interests, their passions, hobbies, tastes and values.
- What inspires you: Don’t just show off your products, show your human side, things that inspire you, your favorite holiday destination and so on.
- Track, Track and Track some more: With built in analytics, learn what pinners like, most re-pins and use this information to improve your website design & offering.
- Pin from your website: Pinterest offers a nifty social widget that you can place on your site to allow visitors to pin directly from your site. You may already have Facebook & Twitter connects, why not pinterest
- Visual Media does work: It’s common knowledge that visual media always works better than long lines of text to drive the point home and pinterest does just that.
- Connect with your Blog: Drive more traffic to your blog articles by adding the same as pins on your pinterest page.
- Insights into your Buyer Persona: This is really important for all businesses. Pinterest makes it a little easier to learn about your customers. Track their pins/re-pins to get insights in your ideal customer.
- Ads: Recently launched, you can now pay to advertise on Pinterest via promoted pins. This is great to find people and get the much needed attention all businesses need.
All in all, Pinterest might not be for everyone but its definitely a great new social media to consider. It may take a little more time to get popular in markets like India but it’ll get there for sure.
We’d love to know if any of you have firsthand experience being on Pinterest, do share your story with us.