We hate traffic except for the ones that lead to a website 😉 and we’re sure that you second this thought too. Our SEO tips have always worked wonders for us in terms of getting traffic and continue to do so even today, but we all want more. So we began our search to find ways to get more traffic to our blog.
The Search: Our research began with Google Analytics where we scanned through almost 2 years of data, week by week. What we noticed was that a newsletter had resulted in a tremendous spike in traffic. That’s great news right? We just send all our blog posts via email to our customer base and we’re going to get traffic. But you don’t want your email to be considered as spam, so you’ve got to be cautious in the way you approach this method.
Another key finding during our research was the spike in traffic when we shared our blog articles on social media. A Facebook post or a tweet on twitter has a certain life; this means that posts made on social media channels will only be visible to a few people who are online at that time. There’s a lot of hard work put into each of the articles and the kind of visibility with each social post was not justifying the hard work.
The Plan: Getting visitors by simply spamming our users via email and social media is an option that we will never take. Our main objective was for people to read more relevant content hence we worked out the following plan.
- Email: We figured that if the audience likes an article, they will eventually want to read more. So we picked an article that people would like and prefer reading and send it across to the entire mailing list.
- Social: Social media is great for promoting content, but there’s always this innate flaw where once a post is shared it will reach out only for a certain period of time. This means that not everyone gets to view your content. In order for our post to be viewed by everyone or atleast the majority of our audience, we’ll need to repeat the promotion of that particular post at a different date and time altogether. This will ensure that people who login to social media channels at different times of the day will be able to see the post.
Executing the Plan: We now had the gun and the bullets and the only thing left was to take the shots.
- For email we decided to stick to a text mailer than the usual html format. There are two reasons why we opted to do the text mailer:
- Text mailers are compatible with all email clients.
- HTML mailers sometimes end up in the promotions tab of Gmail (most used free email service), which is not viewed by everyone.
- The body of the text just contained the initial few sentences of the article which was more than enough to spike curiosity levels and for someone to click on read more. This would get the reader to the blog where he or she would get access to the entire article.
For Social we decided to promote an article on social media channels the day it was published. We then repeated the promotion for the same article for the next week at a different time of the day but only limited it to Facebook and Twitter this time. We then repeated the promotion of the same article on Twitter and Facebook after a month and not to forget, at a different time of the day.
The Results: The email and the social strategy worked wonders for us. We now generate 263% more traffic each week when we compared it to our average week before we executed the strategy. The graph on our analytics dashboard just seemed to climb upwards with every passing day. We started getting comments on the various blog posts, which got us super busy and nevertheless super excited.
What we learnt: We had a lot of customers appreciating the content and also asking us more about our products [potential leads 🙂 ]. We must be honest to tell you that this revelation would not be possible without data. There are a lot of things hidden within data, just waiting to be explored.
You can try these little secrets of ours and see how it works for your blog or website. Just remember to not overdo it as people might just consider it as spam.
Love it or Hate it but don’t forget to express how you feel about this article in the comments section below.