Manish Dalal is a man who doesn’t need introductions in our industry. We had the privilege of chatting up with him recently and here’s a sneak peek at our conversation.
1. What are your thoughts on the Domain Name market in India?
The number of Internet users in India are expected to nearly triple from 125 million in 2011 to 330 million by 2016, according to Boston Consulting Group. This will lead India to have the highest Internet protocol (IP) traffic growth with a 44 per cent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) between 2012 and 2017, based on the Cisco Visual Networking Index.
According to a report from the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), fewer than 5 per centof businesses have web presence in India. Choosing the right domain name is an important first step to having web presence. So there is significant potential for growth in India.
2. What does the .net brand stand for?
As one of the first Web domains, .net has the credibility that comes with experience to help businesses start, grow and get their best chance online. When an organization puts .net after their domain name, they are showing the world that they are available, reputable and going places. With .net, companies can tell the world that their business is beyond a regular business, it is an innovative endeavour.
(Source: Verisign website– http://www.verisigninc.com/en_IN/products-and-services/domain-names/index.xhtml)
3. Why should a business pick .net for its website?
Supported by the same infrastructure and expertise that has powered .com for more than 15 years, .net is recognized around the world as an established and credible place to interact online. Some of .net’s value propositions are:
- As one of the first Web domains, .net has the credibility that comes with experience.
- .net domain names are hosted in more than 200 countries. It is a globally recognized TLD.
- Every company has their own way of thinking and their domain should be as unique as their business idea. .net allows them to choose a domain name that helps create their identity online.
- While .net continues to be one of the top Web domain choices, there are millions of .net names available. Companies can get the Web address they really want. Today, more than 99.9% of 6+ character .net domain names are available, which enables companies to go for the name they like.
(Source: Verisign update– http://www.verisigninc.com/en_IN/products-and-services/domain-names/net/index.xhtml
4. What trends are you seeing in .net and how do you see the domain evolving in the future?
Recently, .net hit a major milestone when its zone surpassed 15 million domain names registered globally. To help celebrate this milestone, Verisign in partnership with Entrepreneur Magazine recently launched a poll asking readers to pick their favourite .net websites in the world. Verisign and Entrepreneur will compile the votes and publish the .net 100 ranking in January 2014. Going forward, we expect .net to continue being one of the most visible, reliable and trusted parts of the Internet domain space. Some interesting facts on the rise of .net domain name:
- The .net zone has doubled in size since 2006.
- In 2012, the average character length of .net domain names created was 12 characters.
- .net domain names are hosted in more than 200 countries worldwide.
- Almost half (48 per cent) of the .net domains registered in India have e-commerce functionality on their sites.
- A .net domain name can be registered in as many as 350 different native languages thanks to Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs). IDNs make the Internet more globally accessible and functional by enabling domain names in non-ASCII characters.
5. What is the significance of the Indian market for Verisign in the years to come?
Businesses in India are beginning to realize the power of Internet. With only a small percentage of businesses having a Web presence, there is an opportunity to educate the mass market on the value of getting online, of having a branded email address and a professional website. This market education and awareness along with strong growth in Internet penetration will result in a large Web services economy in India in the years to come
6. Can you help us understand the idea behind the recent TV ads for .net?
We know that .com is often a default choice of the consumer, when registering a domain name. But did you know that .net and .com are powered by the same company – Verisign? Both .com and .net are global, recognized and trusted for the last 15 years, with Verisign maintaining 100 per cent operational accuracy and stability for .com and .net. We think the TV ad creative produced by BigRock is smart, funny and unique, and we hope viewers enjoy it, too.