With new gTLDs like .GURU, .SHOES, .TIPS and many more entering the market almost every week, the domain name ecosystem just got super exciting. It’s time to say goodbye to the days when finding the exact domain of your choice was as difficult as finding a needle in a haystack. Now you can choose between www.yourcompanyname.ventures or www.yourcompanyname.enterprises or many many more. The possibilities are just endless.
Although the whole idea of new gTLDs had been doing the rounds for some time, it is only now that the general public is getting the taste of its new flavors. So we thought why not give you all the information you need to know about this revolutionary new concept. So let’s begin
Why the need for these new gTLDs?
From the year 1985 to 2012, the domain name industry saw a total of 22 gTLDs launched. Though a small number, they were the pioneers for the domain name industry. Riding on the success of these existing gTLDs, ICANN decided to expand the domain name industry with more new gTLDs. The sole purpose of this decision was to create more options for people to choose from and to make it the internet more meaningful. For example if you are a photographer you can use .PHOTOGRAPHY, .CAMERA, .PHOTOS or even .GALLERY. People can now relate even more using the new gTLDs.
How do new gTLDs make it to you?
The acceptance was just the start, there was a lot more involved in actually pumping life into the new gTLDs. Who will be allowed to apply for them? Which ones will actually make it and under what circumstances? That’s when ICANN developed a process to find new credible operators of new gTLDs. Applications from around the globe were accepted and they all had to go through a grueling evaluation and auctions. The ones who cleared all the stages were accredited to be operators of their respective gTLDs. Let’s take a bird’s eye view at the timeline of the entire process.
The launch of a new gTLD is further divided into three stages:
1) The Sunrise phase (60 days): Trademark holders who have listed their trademark in the Trademark Clearinghouse can apply for the matching domain name. The trademark clearinghouse (TMCH) is a database of verified trademarks that are already registered with the appropriate trademark offices. It provides verified brands a single point of access to be able to register their domain name with any new gTLDs that launch in the future. To understand more about Sunrise Phase you can visit http://www.bigrock.in/new-gtld/sunrise and refer to the FAQs section.
2) Landrush (30 days): Just after the Sunrise, is the Landrush phase. During this period anyone is eligible to buy the domain name at a premium price. If two or more people apply for the same domain name in this phase, an auction is held at the end of the Landrush period and the domain name is awarded to the highest bidder. In cases of only a single applicant, the domain name becomes active immediately at the end of the Landrush.
3) General availability: This is the final phase out of the three and is just after Landrush. The general availability is a first come first serve basis and is open to general public.
We are also super excited to announce that we will be offering pre- registration services for new gTLDs soon. To give more light to this topic, we spoke to Basil Skariah, Product Manager – Website @ BigRock. He quoted “When customers apply for eligible gTLDs through pre-registrations, we will try to secure that domain the second it is made available through Landrush or General Availability” To further give detail to his statement, there is going to be 2 types of Pre- Registrations.
- Priority Pre-booking – As soon as a gTLD moves into the Landrush phase you will be able to apply for your desired domain name. Incase if there are two or more applicants for the same domain name then there will be a closed auction between the participants which will be conducted by the registry.
- Standard Pre-booking– If you register your domain name using the standard pre-registration process then we will try to secure that domain name with the registry the moment the gTLD in question goes live in the General Availability Phase and has not already been acquired by someone else in Landrush.
Pssst: Your money will be refunded if we are unable to secure the particular domain via standard pre-booking. Participants that would like to book a domain in via priority pre-registrations will have to pay an additional application fee that will not be refundable.
After going through different phases of evaluation, auctions and years later, the new gTLDs are now a reality. These new gTLDs have widened the horizon for the domain name industry and also for YOU. So what are you waiting for, get your domain name TODAY @ BigRock.
You may Also Like